16.04.12 Honda Introduces the All-New, Completely Redesigned 2012 CR-V
16 April 2012 - Dubai, UAE -
The all new fourth generation CR-V debuted today at a press conference hosted by Honda Motor Co. (Middle East Office). Set to go on sale from 16 April, the new CR-V will be available for customers in GCC and Near East in 3 different grades* -LX, EX and EX-Leather.
Globally, the CR-V has been recognized as a pioneer of compact SUV. Since its first launch in 1996, over 5 million CR-V's have been sold today which amply proves its global appeal in terms of design, quality, refinement and popularity. Building on this solid reputation, the all new CR-V now enters into its 4th generation with enhanced exterior aesthetics, car like interior comfort, innovative features and a smoother & quieter ride; and is designed to offer urban sophistication and exceed customer expectation of a 5-seater compact SUV.
Exterior Style and Design Concept
The previous generation CR-V's refined styling, size and proportions contributed a lot to its success since its launch in 2006.
Compared to the previous-generation CR-V, the 2012 model takes on a more aggressive and aerodynamic stance with deeper sculpting of the bodylines and a bolder front fascia. The front bumper's smooth-flowing lines are highlighted by a horizontal three-bar grille and deeply set multi-reflector headlights. The lower front bumper wraps smartly upward to convey SUV capability with a generous approach angle, while the lower front bumper design with fog lights (only for EX & EX-Leather grades) now integrates more smoothly with the fascia for improved aerodynamics. The CR-V's signature vertical rear brake lights have a more three-dimensional style that further compliments the design and aerodynamics of the vehicle. The CR-V's large alloy wheels (17" for LX grade and 18" for EX & EX-Leather grade) and bold fender flares emphasize the vehicle's dynamic presence and capability. Adding to the sleekness of exterior styling is the Shark fin antenna.
The Honda CR-V offers a modest increase in passenger and cargo volume. It also offers a more car-like driving position compared to the previous generation CR-V. Inside the CR-V, every tactile surface viz., interior door handles, steering wheel, etc. are designed to be pleasing to the touch-and easy to operate.
Fabric upholstery is standard in the LX grade, while the EX has upgraded fabric with a suede-like feel. The EX-Leather grade has standard leather upholstery.
All put together, the CR-V offers a smart package which blends form and function like no other vehicle in the class.
- The controls and instrumentation of CR-V has a "smart interface" between the vehicle and the driver that requires minimal driver eye movement. The steering wheel mounted controls allows the driver to operate a range of features without taking their hands off the wheel, thus avoiding potential distractions.
- For new CR-V, the Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® phone interface is standard on EX and EX-Leather, and offers intuitive hands-free calling convenience.
- Available on EX & EX-Leather grades, the color "intelligent" Multi-Information Display (i-MID) positioned high in the central part of the instrument panel within the driver's line of sight. The 5-inch TFT color display screen of i-MID shows a multitude of information like, audio track titles, fuel economy information, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® information, personal wallpaper and warnings such as door ajar and parking brake.
- Air-conditioning is a standard feature for CR-V. The conveniently located AC vents for front seats and rear seat allows efficient climate control inside the cabin. The LX grade has a manual control and EX and EX-Leather grades have automatic dual-zone controls.
- A green ECON button to the left of the steering wheel if switched on changes several operating characteristics of the vehicle to enhance fuel efficiency.
- The generously sized front console has a large 10.8-liter central storage compartment, and the sliding cover keeps contents out of view. 3 cup holders and a small storage tray are positioned at the front of the console within easy reach. Compartments in the side of the console and dual storage compartments in each door panel provide additional space for small items. The front doors also include bottle holders. In the rear seating area, a flip-down center armrest includes 2 cup holders.
- The CR-V is designed to offer cargo capability to suit the needs of active owners. Compared to previous generation, the new CR-V has gained cargo space behind the rear seats (up from 35.7 cubic ft. to 37.2 cubic ft.). For easier loading, the CR-V's lift-in height and cargo floor has also been lowered by 20 mm, making it among the lowest cargo floors in the class. For maximum cargo capacity, the Easy Fold-Down 60/40 Split Rear Seat can be quickly lowered, creating a nearly flat load floor. The CR-V also includes a retractable cargo cover that can hide items stored in the cargo area behind the second-row seats.
Engine and Transmission
The all new CR-V is powered by a 2.4L, DOHC, in-line 4 cylinder gasoline engine that produces max. power of 188 HP @ 7,000 rpm - up by 20 HP compared to the previous generation. And max. torque is 22.6 kg-m @ 4,400 rpm. A host of innovative features are designed to deliver a cutting-edge combination of performance, fuel efficiency, and low emissions. Most apparent is the i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system - which results in good fuel economy and low exhaust emissions.
The 5-AT gearbox works in conjunction with the engine's Drive-By-WireTM throttle control to smoothly shift between gears. The new Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System debuts on the 2012 CR-V and is available to help provide traction in low-grip driving conditions. Compared to the prior 4WD system, the electronically activated AWD system offers a faster, more intuitive initial response when a loss of traction is detected. It also reduces weight and minimizes internal friction and help to minimize the negative impact on fuel economy inherent to virtually all four-wheel-drive systems.
Body and Chassis
Significant improvements to body and chassis of new 2012 CR-V improve interior quietness and ride quality compared to the previous model.
The 2,620 mm wheelbase, wider track dimensions, independent suspensions, and features such as VSA® and new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS) all contribute to the CR-V's objective to provide a premium driving experience. The compact multi-link rear suspension helps maximize second-row seating and cargo space, while also providing outstanding handling characteristics and ride quality.
The new CR-V is equipped with a host of standard safety features unmatched by any other vehicle in its class. These include:
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body for enhanced occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions.
- Front hood with features to mitigate pedestrian injury in case of a frontal collision.
- Front seats that help mitigate the severity of neck injuries in the event of a rear impact.
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) enhance control capability while the vehicle is accelerating, braking, cornering or when the driver makes a sudden maneuver.
- Brake Assist feature that helps shorten braking distance.
- Advanced 4-Channel ABS with Electronic Brake Distribution.
- Advanced front airbags (SRS) system for driver and front passenger incorporate dual-stage and multiple-threshold activation technology. In addition, the front passenger's seat is equipped with the Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) that deactivates the side airbag if a child (or small-stature adult) leans into the side airbag deployment path.
- Side airbags for front seats are available for EX-Leather grade.
- Side curtain airbags with rollover sensor system, are available on EX-Leather grade.
- Hill Start Assist.
- ISOFIX provides a simple and convenient method to install compatible child safety seats in a vehicle.
- Three-point seatbelts are standard for all seating positions. The front seatbelts are equipped with automatic tensioners and load limiters to help minimize injury potential in a frontal collision.
An expressive color choice is available for 2012 Honda CR-V models. These include - Twilight Blue Metallic (new color), Alabaster Silver Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Polished Metal Metallic, Basque Red Pearl II, White Diamond Pearl and Urban Titanium Metallic.
All grades of CR-V come with beige color interior as standard.
The 2012 Honda CR-V is covered by a 3-year/100,000-km new-car limited warranty.
à Please check with your local dealer/ distributor for the available grade in your country.